Packing List for Summer 2015 Vacation
Adam and I are very proud that we managed to travel for 3 weeks with Asha in two carry-on bags plus one checked bag. The checked bag was dominantly because of Adam’s snorkeling gear (mine fit in my carryon), but he has full-size fins where I have short ones. We did use the checked bag for more, in the end – it was often where we put diapers and wipes for Asha, for example, as well as souvenirs – but if we did not have the snorkeling gear, downsized some things in the med/toiletries kit, and picked up other things (like diapers) at the destination… we very well might have managed to go “carryon only”! We also might have had to pick a different carryon bag for Adam, as the Timbuk2 is not as conducive to packing for a trip as it is for day-to-day work.
Since I’m always curious how people pack, I thought I’d share our packing list with everyone.
Hand Luggage / Carry On – Darcey
- cell phone
- knitting project
- journal + pen
- Asha-related paraphernalia:
- toys (varied – two small stuffed animals, plastic nesting eggs)
- Asha (two Explora containers with cranberries & blueberries)
- small wet bag for any dirty clothes
- 8 diapers
- Partially used package of wipes
- Clothes – Darcey
- 1 pair convertible pants
- 1 merino t-shirt (Icebreaker)
- 3 dresses – 1 black (ExOfficio), 1 white/blue paisley (Ralph Lauren), 1 multicoloured something from Target.
- 2 swimsuits
- 1 pair flip-flops (Havaiana)
- Clothes – Asha
- 3pr patiala salwar (The Shop + one pair we bought in Penang)
- 4 tops
- 3 bathing suits (incl. 2 swim diapers)
- 2 dresses
- 1 XL PackTowl
- MEC rain jacket
- White shawl
- Extra bag for under-seat during flights (to put the change kit, toys, snacks, Kindle and shawl in, so the main bag could go overhead)
Yes… this ALL fit in my carryon. That MEC bag has some fearsome stretch… and what’s more terrifying, I think, is that there was actually still space for things to squish around. It was not an immovable object. I was wearing a pair of the convertible pants and a merino T for the flight; Asha had a top and a pair of salwar from FabIndia, plus her shoes. We ended up buying her a 2nd pair of shoes in Singapore near the end of the trip (yellow/teal Crocs flipflops she picked out herself).
Hand Luggage / Carry On – Adam
- Laptop computer + charger
- Kindle + charger
- Cell phone + charger
- Pens/pencils for drawing
- ERGO Ventus baby carrier
- Diaper change kit (BRICA)
- Some of his clothing (I think just 1 change in case we had lost luggage).
(first this was a HEYS bag, and then when that broke in transit, we replaced it with a Lojel bag with latches, rather than a zipper).
- extra package of baby wipes (didn’t end up needing this – we hadn’t realised we had packed an extra!)
- full 56-pack of diapers (we had extra, and didn’t know what we’d find when we arrived – plus a VERY long first airport layover!)
- Adam’s snorkeling gear (mask, fins, snorkel)
- Darcey’s snorkeling gear (note: this went in carry-on on the flight back)
- SCRUBBA bag
- Medicine/toiletries kit
- Included 2 containers of sunscreen, 1 container of aloe vera gel
- Various clothing as the trip progressed, starting off with a fair chunk of Adam’s clothes.
Next trip – which is already in planning stages! – we have some modifications to make; some additions, some subtractions, some reorganization (namely, the MEC bag being switched out for something else). Hopefully, I’ll be able to get all our ducks in order for that and a bit of a comparative list in November or early December to see exactly what changes we’re making.