Suggested Reading / Viewing
There are a lot of newspapers, books, magazine articles, and other stories about India. This page will include things to watch, read, or listen to that we feel are accurate or useful material about India, for those curious about the country. This list is, of course, subject to change.
- Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russel Rich; a woman’s trip to India to learn the language as part of an article/experiment. Interesting combination autobiography, travelogue, and linguistics book.
- Culture Shock India by Gitanjali Kolanad; one of the better top culture-info books on India.
- City of Djinns by William Dalrymple; a good look at Delhi’s history and present by a man who’s written a lot about India and her history, and knows how to wind a tale.
- In Spite of the Gods by Edward Luce; a look at India’s rise in the modern world and its interactions with some of the other “big hitters”.
- The Hindus: An Alternative History by Wendy Doniger; an alternative look at the history of Hinduism and its effects on India, including the way myths are structured, the roles of women, etc.
- Mango Season by Amulya Malladi
- Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banarjee Divakaruni
- The Great Indian Novel by Shashi Tharoor